Hardy Society Journal Cover Design Competition
Open until 30th September 2019!
Could your design feature on future covers of the Hardy Society Journals?
Following the Thomas Hardy Society’s successful 50th birthday celebrations, and to mark the publication of 30 issues, in 2020 we hope to give the biannual Hardy Society Journal a bolder, brighter, more modern look. For over a decade, the spring and summer issues of the Hardy Society Journal have featured images from the archive, and this has been a wonderful way to discover—and rediscover—aspects of Hardy’s life and work. But now, just as we have refreshed the look and feel of our website, it’s time to revamp the journal. To this end, the Thomas Hardy Society is about to launch a competition for a brand new cover design. If you combine a love of Hardy’s work and a passion for art and design, this competition is for you! Your design could be seen and enjoyed by hundreds of subscribers every year.
The competition is open between 1 March 2019 and 31 September 2019 to anybody over the age of 18. The initial call seeks draft concepts rather than final designs for the new front cover.
These concepts should
* work with the following proportions: 21cm (height) x 14 cm (width)
* incorporate the Thomas Hardy Society logo, which is available by request (from email@example.com)
* feature an original image (illustration, graphic, photograph, collage) that relates to Thomas Hardy’s life, work, or legacy and which does not violate copyright in anyway;
* use bold colours.
They should include the following information:
* Title: Hardy Society Journal
* Issue Name (i.e. Spring 2020), Volume Number (i.e. Vol. 16), Issue Number (i.e. No 1)
* Price: £4
* ISSN 1746-4617.
You are welcome—and encouraged—to use a different layout and fonts.
Submitting an Entry
To participate, please submit a mocked up future title page no later than midnight on 31 September to the journals’ editor, Dr Karin Koehler, at the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your entry should be accompanied by a brief cover letter which states that your work is original and that you accept the Terms and Conditions (listed below)
Terms and Conditions
By entering The Thomas Hardy Society Front Cover Competition 2019-20, all participants accepts the following terms and conditions:
The Front Cover competition opens on 1 March 2019 and closes on 31 September 2019. Late entries will not be accepted.
Entry is restricted to persons aged 18 or over.
Artists may submit multiple entries.
With the exception of the logo of the Thomas Hardy Society, all elements of the entry must be 100% original and compliant with copyright legislation. Copyright for the elements of the entry, excepting the Thomas Hardy Society logo, is owned by the artist and the entry must not use any third-party copyright material.
* The artist retains the copyright for all artwork entered into the competition.
* The artist gives permission for their name to be used for publicity. No other details of the artist’s identity will be disclosed without permission.
* The entry must adhere to the guidelines as provided on the website of the Thomas Hardy Society (https://www.hardysociety.org/oxo/153/journal-cover-design-competition/).
* The decision of the judges will be final and accepted by all entrants.
* The creator of the entry selected by the judges as most appropriate to appear on the cover of the journal will receive a prize to the value of £50 as well as free print journal membership for one year. They will, if the entry is considered appropriate, be invited to develop their concept further into print-ready artwork. If they accept the commission, they will receive an additional honorarium [exact value tbc].
* The artist grants The Thomas Hardy Society the right to use the final artwork on the front cover of the Society’s journals and for any other purposes of internal and external promotion of the Society across any and all channels including print, electronic, and social media, and on merchandise, in any country of the world, in perpetuity
The artist covenants that any artwork submitted to the Competition will not
1. Be false or misleading;
2. Be fraudulent or involve the sale of counterfeit, stolen or infringing items;
3. Infringe or misappropriate any third party’s copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret of other proprietary right or rights of publicity or privacy;
4. Violate any law, statue, ordinance or regulation;
5. Be defamatory, libellous, offensive, unlawfully threatening, or harassing, or advocating, or providing assistance involving violence, significant risk of injury or death, or other unlawful activities;
6. Be obscene.
Starts 17:30 until 18:30
Starts 10:30 until 12:00